My mother in law called and asked if I wanted cherries. Her tree was packed this year. I got two big bowls full. I wanted to make cherry pie filling for cherry crisps in the winter. It was a BIG job. My fingers are stained red and I made a huge miss in my kitchen. When I opened the corn starch, it went flying all over me and my kitchen. I tasted the finished product and it is so good.
Cherry Pie Filling
6 quarts pitted cherries
7 Cups sugar
1 3/4 cups corn starch
9 1/3 water
1/2 cup lemon juice
Wash and pit cherries. Place cherries in boiling water and boil for 1 minute. Drain. Keep warm by just putting a towel over the top of them. Combine sugar and corn starch in a large pan. Add the 9 1/3 cups of water and cook over med. heat stirring constantly. When product begins to thicken and bubble, add the lemon juice and boil for one minute. Add to cherries, stirring gently to mix. Fill hot jars with hot cherry pie filling leaving 1 inch head space. Wipe the rims clean, remove any air bubbles and place your lids on.
Water bath for 30 minutes for both pints and quart jars.
Add the following time according to altitude:
1001-3000 5 minutes
3001-6000 10 minutes
6001-8000 15 minutes
8001-10000 20 minutes


No comments:
Post a Comment